Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Here it is May 1st.  How does that happen so quickly?  The months are flying by.  Today was a work day.  Sorry, I didn't take any pictures.  It started out doing laundry in a stackable washer/dryer at the marina at 7:45.  There is no garbage can for the lint or the used fabric softener sheets and no place to fold clothes.  I had to be creative.  Anyway, I met a woman named Diane who brought her laundry in shortly after I got started.  I was short a dollar's worth of quarters to finish.  She went to the hotel next door and bought some quarters.  She gave me a dollar's worth and when I tried to give her a dollar, she said she'd rather have a shot of laundry soap (she only had one load).  We sat and talked a long time.  There is a 36' sailboat here that is leaving for Holland on Saturday.  We talked to the owner of the boat yesterday.  His name is Jost.  Diane (from San Francisco), Marta (from Italy), and Andrew  (from Minnesota) are all crewing for him. None of them had ever met one another  before.   I can't even imagine going so far in such a little boat, especially with strangers.  What if they don't get along?  What an adventure though!

When I came back to the boat, I ironed for hours.  This is the first time since the sciatica that I have felt like I could handle leaning over the ironing board.  The good thing is that it was not a problem.  We now have plenty of clothes to pack to come home for Clara's First Communion.

Then I finally got a haircut.  When you go to hair salons in a different city every time, you never know what you'll get.  However, this time I told John I looked so good, he had to take me out for dinner.  We went to the Oyster Bar right next door to the marina and ate outdoors.  We heard thunder several times, but it never rained and the temperature was perfect.  I wonder what my hair will look like when I wash it and fix it myself.  Probably not as good.  We are enjoying our time here.

No comments: