Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Ides of March

The biggest and oldest tree in Savannah.

Juliet Gordon Low's House.

The New Eugene Talmadge Bridge

The haunted CVS Pharmacy.
Today John and I were supposed to go to Downtown Savannah and do the trolley tour. However, it didn't turn out that way. We both started out this morning thinking we were going to do just that, but John decided that he wouldn't be able to do all of the walking and stayed on the boat. So, I went by myself. It wasn't nearly as much fun, but I'd never been to Savannah before and felt it was necessary to see as much as I could in the allotted time. A guy from the marina drove me to the bus stop, and the bus took me to the trolley station. The tour was really enjoyable. St. Patrick's Day is a REALLY big deal here. The fountains all had green water in them. They are expecting a million people for the parade on Saturday. All hotels and motels are totally booked within 100 miles. My favorite part of the tour was the tour of Juliet Gordon Low's house. Juliet Gordon Low is the founder of Girl Scouts. The Girl Scouts celebrated their 100 year anniversary this past Monday. The tour driver told us Savannah is the most haunted city in the country. There is a CVS here that he said wouldn't stay open after dark because the company was afraid the customers would see the ghosts. He also said Savannah is nicknamed Slowvannah. It took them 5 years to name the new bridge. The old bridge was named the Eugene Talmadge Bridge. After 5 years, the name they came up with for the new bridge is the New Eugene Talmadge Bridge. How original! There were two women on the bus from Dublin, Ireland. They said they came here because Savannah does a much bigger job of celebrating St. Patrick's Day. All in all, I found Savannah to be an attractive, pleasant, friendly city. I enjoyed the tour and I am sorry that John was not able to experience the downtown area with me.

No comments: